THE BIG TEN
(THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)
Lesson #2 - WORSHIP ONE GOD
Exodus 20:1-3 - And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
· How is being a “one woman man” and a “one God man” similar?
· How do you know when you are a “one woman man”?
· How do you know when you are a “one God man”?
· Name some of the “gods” that various other religions have worshipped?
· Name “the gods” that exist in “Christian America”?
· Why should we examine our loyalties to God on a regular basis?
As we saw last time the Ten Commandments are a mover, a mentor, a motivator, a mandate, a mirror and a marvel.
This week we see the commandment on which the other nine are built. There is to be no other god in our lives but the one true God.
THE DEMONSTRATION OF HIS POWER
Exodus 19:17-18 - And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount. And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.
· Why did God demonstrate His power in this way?
· Why does God chose to make Himself known?
· Think about other ways God has demonstrated His power.
· Psalms 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
· Romans 1:20 - For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
· Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
· John 16:8-11 - And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
· 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
· Psalms 107:8 - Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
· How should the demonstration of God’s power affect us concerning worshipping only one God?
THE DECLARATION OF HIS IDENTITY
Exodus 20:1-2 - And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God…
· “God’s demand for his people’s total devotion is firmly based upon who he is and what He has done.” Alistair Begg, Pathway to Freedom, How God’s laws Guide our Lives, (Chicago, Moody Publishers, 2003), p. 49
· Why is it important to note that God was speaking?
· The capital LORD in the KJV indicates the word “Jehovah”. God is saying that He is the great “I Am”
· Exodus 3:13-14 - And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
· How does God being the great “I Am” impact the first commandment?
· Why is it tragic when we forget or ignore who God really is?
· I am the Lord thy God… - God claims us. He is willing to be called “ours” and willing to claim us as “His”. How should this truth affect our thought process and obedience?
THE DELIVERANCE FROM BONDAGE
Exodus 20:2 - I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
· How had Israel been delivered out of the “house of bondage?”
· How have you been delivered out of the “house of bondage”?
· Ephesians 2:1 - And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
· 1 Corinthians 6:11 - And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
· John 8:36 - If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
· Colossians 1:13-14 - Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
THE DEMAND FOR EXCLUSIVITY
Exodus 20:3 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
· “The sobering truth to be faced up to is this: Anything or any person (including myself) that claims our primary loyalty has become ‘another God.’” Begg, p. 57
· What are some of the “other gods” we Christians need to watch out for?
· “The phrase "before me" means "in my presence" and therefore prohibits other gods from being considered to be in the presence of Yahweh.”—Bible Background Commentary
· When I come to worship God, nothing is to usurp any of the devotion that God deserves.
· Exodus 34:14 – For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
· What right has God to be jealous?
· What should our response be to God’s jealousy?
· To me our loyalty to the one true God should be based on love and submission.
· Deuteronomy 6:4-5 - Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
· Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.